Biography / Hunangofiant
Mixed media specialist and Lumen Prize finalist Christopher Langley, b1962, is recognised as one of Wales’s foremost contemporary artists.
He creates impressionist – which in many works borders on the surreal – that are both visually stunning and technically brilliant. His master prints, where a work is hand finished in very limited editions, are well sought after when an original work has been sold.
Raised in Pontypridd, South Wales; he became a professional artist in 2012 after opening his first solo exhibition. Today, Langley’s work has a national and international audience.
Exhibited in New York, Glasgow, London, Newport and Cardiff, Langley has extensive on-line social media coverage, also contributing to local news arts features, TV, & BBC radio. Celebrities such as Sir Richard Branson and Apprentice winner Mark Wright own his works.
A committee member of the South Wales Art Society (SWAS), Langley is one of the artists in residence at the Celtic Manor International Resort, Newport and David Lloyd Tennis Centre, Cardiff. His work currently features in a number of solo and joint exhibitions.
Langley admires work from Hockney, Hilton, Corfield, and Grey.
- Lumen Prize International finalist 2013 & 14
- Celebrity signed portraits
- Experienced in Corporate and private commissions.
- Appearances on BBC Radio Wales, S4C TV and BBC On-line
- National and International Exhibitions.
- South Wales Argus Pet Portrait competition judge.
He has appeared on S4C’s Heno for his ‘Art of Cardiff Pubs – Past Present’ series, BBC Radio Wales, BBC On Line and the South Wales Argus, where he judges the Prettiest Pet Contest. He has demonstrated to art societies, business groups, in addition to presenting school and group workshops.
Bringing a fresh interpretation to his subjects. Langley says: “There have been many paintings of Cardiff Landmarks and Castle Coch, for example, but none have used the colour combination I bring to the subject. I find great inspiration in many things about Wales; the people and the towns; the unique land and seascapes”
Exhibitions / Arddangosfeydd
2020: Cwtch Gallery, Stow Hill Newport, The Spring Show. April 5th – May6th.
- 2019 David Lloyd Centre Autumn Exhibition October 19-21st.
- 2018 ‘Spring Show 18’ at Waterloo Tea, Wyndham Arcade, Cardiff March – May 2018
- 2017 ‘Historic Cardiff Pub Series’, Insole Court, Llandaff Cardiff
- 2016 ‘Winter Exhibition’, Terra Nova Cafe and Gallery, Roath Park Cardiff.
- 2015 ‘Abstract Wales 2’: Futures Gallery, the Pierhead, Cardiff Bay.
- 2014 ‘Winter Collection’ Jaspers Tearooms and Gallery, Cardiff.
- 2013 ‘Autumn in 2013’ The Gate Gallery, Cardiff.
- 2013 ‘Abstract Wales 1’ Oriel Gallery, the Senedd, Sponsored by Julie Morgan, AM.
- 2012 ‘The Spring Show’ Pontypridd Museum and Gallery, Pontypridd
- 2019 South Wales Art Society Summer Exhibition, Futures Gallery, The Pierhead, Cardiff.
- 2018 Parallax Autumn Art Fair, London.
- 2018 Autumn Exhibition, Create Gallery, Monmouth. Wales.
- 2017 Mill Lane Arts Hub: First Joint Exhibition. Sponsored by Giovanni Restaurants.
- 2016 The Bricklane Gallery, London. Oct 12th – 23rd.
- 2016 SWAS Exhibition, Steak of the Art Gallery, Churchill Way, Cardiff.
- 2015 SWAS Summer Exhibition, The Old Library Gallery, Cardiff.
- 2014 Made in Roath Exhibition, SHO Gallery Cardiff,
- 2014 SWAS Summer Show, the Pierhead Building Cardiff.
- 2014 Pride Exhibition, Victoria Gallery, Glasgow.
- 2014 Art for Addicts Exhibition, Imitate Gallery, London.
- 2014 ‘Evolving Abstraction’ Exhibition, Agora Gallery, New York, USA.
- 2014 Lumen Prize Top 50 Exhibition, FCA Building, London.
- 2013 Made in Roath Exhibition, Gate Gallery, Cardiff.
- 2013 Islington Arts Factory’s Summer Salon, London.
- 2013 Lumen Digital Exhibition Pullman Gallery, New York, USA.
- 2013 Lauderdale House Spring Exhibition, London.
- 2012 Gallery 66 Collection, Gallery 66, Cardiff.
- 2012 Summer Exhibition Victoria Fearn Gallery, Cardiff.
- 2012 Off the Wall Gallery Abstract Exhibition, Cardiff.
- 2012 Spring Exhibition The Gallery Stoke Newington, London.