Since 1805, a market at Pontypridd has stood on the site of the present market which was built in the late 1870’s following the incorporation of the Pontypridd Markets Company. The origins of the indoor market were as a cattle market. The Market Hall, now known as the Food Hall, was a basic Victorian covered space where livestock was traded twice weekly on market days, in concurrence with the street market outside where more general fare was offered.
After the First World War the Market Hall was modified to incorporate fixed units where butchers, grocers and other food suppliers set up businesses. The success of the newly developed Market Hall led to three periods of expansion set over seventy year. The view of the painting is from the vantage of Taff Street where the market is busy with people on a summers day.